The quote ‘we teach best what we must learn most’ is oh so true for me. I am ever learning and my own personal wellness practice is ever evolving as I dive deeper and deeper into the latest research.
My line is “Once you know, you can’t not know” so as you learn you are more able to make informed decisions.
And so it goes, thirty years later, still actively practicing whole-self wellness and witnessing it becoming more and more main-stream. Hallelujah!
Recently a few clients and friends have asked me about challenges they are having with cold and flu symptoms.
Right away I went to my own arsenal of practices learned over the years and as a result I just had to share them.
Read on for some wonderful Ayurvedic remedies.
Many years ago I attended a fabulous workshop called
Healing with Spices. The session was wonderfully informative and I put the healing remedies to the test right away for to deal with my own bout of bronchitis back then as well as for my clients struggling with various ailments.
The recipes did what they stated they would and became part of my whole foods medicine cabinet.
Now, I have ‘ter-i-ified’ the original recipes by reducing the sugar content.
If you need additional sweetness I suggest adding additional raw honey instead of sugar yet only if needed.)
The spice combos below help to relieve congestion, reduce inflammation, combat bacterial and viral infections, ease nausea and muscle pains, have anti-oxidant properties and boost the immune system.
How is that for impressive results in a spice blend!
Think about the wisdom from our doctor of medicine Hippocrates…
“Let thy food be the Medicine and thy medicine be thy food”
- Mix 1 tsp each cinnamon,https://rawelements.ca/product/organic-turmeric-powder-200g/ turmeric, ginger, black pepper, cardamom and cloves
- Take ½ - 1 tsp of this powder mixed with raw unpasteurized honey twice per day. It’s yummy like this and also great mixed into hot lemon water.
- Equal parts of turmeric and honey (this is beneficial for most health challenges listed here - allergies, colds, infections and immune boosting)
I often use the dry powder combo to sprinkle over SunButter covered toast or rice crackers with an added drizzle of raw honey or molasses. It’s just yummy
- Drink a tea made of 2 parts ginger powder, 3 parts cinnamon and a pinch of cardamom. Steep 1 tsp in a cup of hot water for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Boil 1 tsp of cinnamon in 1 cup of water. Simmer until it is reduced by one half. Strain, add honey to taste and drink while hot.
- Also helpful: a Turmeric/honey paste combo or for convenience the functional food teas such as Turmeric Latte from Four Sigmatic.
- Mix ½ tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp honey. Take this combo 2 - 3 times a day
- Eat two ripe yellow bananas, or drink pineapple juice or take a handful of raisins everyday 30 minutes minimum after meals. Also try 3 figs soaked in warm water till soft. Triphala powder or capsules is also helpful.
- Mix 1 tsp each cinnamon, ginger and cumin powder with honey to make a paste and take a teaspoonful.
- Yogi Ginger tea or the Honey/Turmeric combo from above in the coughs and flu section. Take 1 tsp three times a day.
- Add 1 tsp coconut oil, a pinch of cardamom (or 1 drop of the essential oil) and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Eat slowly and consciously.
- Combine 1 cup of basmati rice with 1 tsp of organic coconut oil
Add ½ tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp honey to 1 cup of organic milk or a milk beverage alternative. Drink just before going to bed.
Vomiting and Nausea:
- Eat a pinch of cinnamon powder
- Ginger or Yogi Tea
If you feel ill health coming on, brew a wellness elixir:
- Simmer three sliced organic lemons, one teaspoon freshly grated ginger, one clove freshly minced garlic, and one quarter teaspoon cayenne pepper in five cups water until the lemons are soft and pale.
- Strain a portion into a mug and add honey by tablespoons until you can tolerate the taste.
- Drinking this potent mixture of antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal ingredients three times each day can ensure your symptoms never progress into a full-blown illness...
Give high quality, Certified Pure, Therapeutic Grade essential oils a try.
Particularly some of those mentioned above such as…
You’re sure to find yourself feeling better and better. Our body is truly remarkable when we give it what it needs to heal. May whole-self optimal health be yours!
PS: If you are placing any on-line orders with www.rawelements.ca for the linked spices be sure to use the discount code teri to save 10 – 15% on your order. I've been a proud Ambassador for this company for years and years.
As always however, be sure to consult with your health care practitioner for advice. These suggestions are not intended to replace a doctor’s care.
References: Fearless Cooking - Radhanna Garand