These protein- rich, no-added sugar, vegan and gluten-free gems are a perfect go-to sweet.
Crammed with vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber, quality carbs and antioxidants, you can enjoy these easy-to-make power balls without guilt and you can double the batch and store in the freezer in an airtight container for 2 – 4 weeks.
Adding a pinch of quality sea salt is a great way to infuse added electrolytes making them a post workout friendly snack. I love to double the recipe, make a few different visions then freeze them.
You probably have all the ingredients on hand right now and you can even mix these by hand. To start...
- Sweets, snack, post work-out power balls
- Vegan, Gluten, Soy and Nut Free
- Makes 10-12 one inch balls
4 scoops vanilla Sunwarrior Blend protein powder, approx ½ cup or more as needed
6 heaping tbsp SunButter, organic, creamy or crunchy, add a little more if needed
3 tbsp chia seeds
2-4 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, add a little more if needed
4-6 large Medjool dates, soaked and pureed, to taste
4 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for rolling the balls
- Pinch sea salt, to taste (great for electrolytes)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons raw cacao powder, adjust liquid as needed
- 3 tbsp maca or mesquite powder for a caramel taste, adjust liquid as needed
- 2 tablespoon raw cacao nibs and/or chopped pecans, if desired
- 2 drops essential oil – pharmaceutical grade I.e. orange, peppermint, lemon…
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, except the extra coconut flakes and create a sticky dough that holds together well when rolled. Adjust ingredient amounts if needed to ensure this then form the dough into1 – 1½ inch balls.
- Add the reserved coconut flakes to a little baggie and shake/roll the balls to cover evenly.
- Store in a covered container in the fridge or freezer and enjoy as desired.
- Elevate these to ‘Truffle’ level, melt 6 oz of 76% (or higher) quality non-dairy organic chocolate in a double boiler with 1 tbsp coconut oil or milk. Remove from heat and carefully dip each truffle into the chocolate, covering completely. Set on a parchment covered platter, dropping a few cacao nibs on the top if desired and let firm. Store as directed above.
- Omit the added oil if desired and simply add more SunButter as needed for a sticky and sturdy consistency that holds together when rolled.