Yes you can still eat vegan and have your pasta and meatballs too!
Impress all eaters, carnivore or not with these amazing Tempeh meatballs. The secret is in a really tasty marinade and taking the time to let it infuse the tempeh overnight for the best results. These gems make for a perfect accompaniment to any pasta yet spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles when in season are divine. Make these spicy if you like the heat or mellow it out if preferred by adding a splash of vegan cream to the tomato sauce. Either way, it’s a favorite in my home and sure to be in yours too. Meat eaters and those sworn to detest tempeh marvel when discovering this is what the meatballs are made of and I simply smile and say, ‘it’s all in the preparations.’ Bon appetito!
- Preheat Oven to: 350F
- Prep time: Approx. 5 minutes, Marinating time: 30 mins to overnight
- Sauté time: 10- 15 minutes Total time: 20 minutes plus marinating time
- Serves: 4
- 1, 250g pkg. organic or non-GMO Tempeh, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2/3 cup organic tomato juice or tomato sauce thinned with broth or water
- 1 tbsp organic tamari, gluten-free
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt, pepper and dried chili flakes, to taste
Fresh basil and pesto
- 1-2 cups tomato sauce warmed with 4-8 basil leaves
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Combine the marinate ingredients in a large glass baking dish or bag, add tempeh and marinate in a single layer for at least 2 hours at room temp or overnight in the fridge flipping cubes (or the bag) half way through.
- Remove tempeh from marinade, reserving marinade for basting. Brush a little olive or coconut oil in a glass baking dish and place meatball cubes in a single layer.
- Bake at 350F for 25 – 35 minutes or until bronzed, turning over after 20 mins and basting with marinade. Baste again before plating and serve with the tomato sauce, pesto and spaghetti squash or bean pasta if desired as well as veggies of choice.
- I love to roast spaghetti squash and/or peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc at the same time the meatballs bake and then accompany the meal with a side salad.
- Short on marinating time? Warm the marinade first or better still – double the marinade recipe and gently steam the tempeh in half of it using the other half to baste