Gotta say I am a tequila fan. Have been for quite some time! No, no not shooters. I prefer to sip on a fine tequila straight up, enjoy a more casual version over ice, even as a tequila martini, and once upon a time, I enjoyed the classic tequila sunrise. Now a-days, grenadine is frightful to me. However, as a once- upon-a-long time ago bartender and always ocean front fan, I’m enjoy a great Margarita. It must be shaken not blended and no salt for me, thanks so much.
As for watermelon, oh yes, come summer time this fruit takes top billing in my ‘love it’ category. The marriage of these two is heaven-made in my world. Let me know how you feel about this ‘screams of summer’ or an ‘ocean-side vacation’ cocktail. Even if you are stuck in the city, find a place to enjoy an al fresco moment and include this cocktail in the mix. For an instant, it’s a seaside escape. Hope this cocktail becomes a fave of yours for my Spanish blood certain gravitates this way. Salud!
- Yield: 2
- Prep time: 5 – 10 minutes
3 oz tequila, your favorite brand
1.5 – 2 oz triple sec or Cointreau, pending on how sweet you like you like your drinks
1 oz lime juice, freshly squeezed
6 oz watermelon juice (Puree ripe watermelon, strain if desired and voila – juice)
Approximately 1.5 cups ice – cubes or crushed
Fresh lime wedges and watermelon spears to garnish
- Measure ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake it well.
- Pour into your favorite margarita glasses, ice and all – preferably stemmed glasses so your drink stays icy cold. Garnish as desired.
- Sip and smile!
- Garnish Options: Mix 4 tbsp Himalayan pink sea salt and 1 heaping tsp organic lime zest into a wide mouthed container with a lid. Run your lime wedges over the rim of your glasses and dip into your salt mixture. Store excess for your next round of drinks.
- Sugar is an option as a rim too or use equal parts of each. If you choose this route look for Lakanto zero calorie sugar made from Monk fruit. You can find it at www.rawelements.ca and use teri for a 10% discount if ordering online.
- Do you love frozen Margaritas? Make this recipe with frozen watermelon cubes instead of juice and reduce ice to approx. 1/2 cup if using any at all.
KID-FRIENDLY NON-ALCHOLIC MARGARITA (A great post workout hydrator, as well.)
- Shake together equal parts of watermelon juice and coconut water and pour over ice. A tiny pinch of sea salt is a nice addition, especially if post workout is great for added electrolyte replenishment.