Besides being a fabulous pre-work fuel’er with the added edge from the raw cacao and coconut, they’re just yummy at any time. Make a batch and store in the freezer for a fabulous and easy-to-make, ‘grab and go’ snack. Makes approx 10-12 balls. Rich in healthy fats including omega 3, these anti-inflammatory power balls are also wonderfully mineral rich and abundant in Vitamin E.
- ½ cup raw vegan protein powder I love Sunwarrior – either natural or vanilla.
- 6 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoon chia seeds, roughly ground
- Pinch of quality sea salt, to taste (I use Maison Orphee or Earth Circle)
- 3-4 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup, or a combo - Stevia can be substituted
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla – liquid or powder
- 2 tablespoons Maison Orphee virgin organic coconut oil, gently warmed to melt
- 6 tablespoons Sunbutter, organic or crunchy
- Organic Sesame or hemp seeds or coconut flakes, to coat
- In a large bowl, measure the protein powder, cacao, and chia seeds and mix to blend. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Adjust the amount of nut butter, honey, coconut oil, dry ingredients if needed to ensure the dough sticks together.
- Mold the protein balls. Chill the dough until firm enough to roll into balls then roll each ball in the sesame/hemp seeds or coconut. Store these in the refrigerator or freezer.
The amount of honey or maple syrup used will vary pending on what protein powder and Sunbutter you’re using. If they are sweetened you likely will need less added honey and maple syrup. Let your personal preference be your guide in all your food preparation.