Do you have addictive tendencies? I mean really, are there any must-haves in your dietary regime?
Come on now- it’s confession time and yes, I’ll go first. My addiction is smoothies. As much as I advise my clients on the importance of variety I almost always default to a smoothie at breakfast for it’s a perfect way to power-pack my body with numerous nutrients including both veggies and fruits. And then of course there is that dessert-like aspect. It’s like having an ice cream (vegan of course) sundae every day with all the various toppings we choose to garnish our creation with.
What’s so grand about this addiction is there are endless sensational smoothie options. Here is one of the many I truly love from my Spring 2017 Plant Strong program.
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 Serving
Approx ½ - 2/3 cup non-dairy milk or coconut water
1 heaping cup spinach, ideally organic
1 small raw beet, cubed
¼ medium-size avocado
1/2 cup fresh or frozen organic red berries or red grapes
1 tbsp raw almond, cashew, Brazil nut or Sunbutter
1 tbsp flax seeds
1-2 dates or agave or stevia, as desired
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp each cinnamon and turmeric w/ pinch black pepper
½ in ginger-root
½ cup ice
Pinch sea salt and dash cayenne
Berries, coconut, cacao nibs, granola, hemp seeds, etc, as desired
1. Measure all of the ingredients but the garnishes into your high speed blender and blend on high speed to create a smooth, thick and creamy consistency. Adjust thickness, sweetness to satisfy your taste-buds then pour into a tall glass, garnish as desired and relish in the yumminess.
- Add a serving of Sunwarrior protein powder – vanilla or chocolate if you like
- 1 tbsp fresh coconut meat, coconut butter or flakes
- No high speed blender? Use grated raw beets or cook the beets first.
- Serving for dessert? Simply divide between two sexy glasses and drizzle with a little melted chocolate and a berry, orange infused liqueur or brandy.