The avocado is truly a celebrated fruit for most everyone and oh the endless ways to use them. Here is a remake on the proverbial McMuffin - you never eat anything McDonalds do you? That’s not food and once you’ve had ‘real food’ as the mainstay of your diet, there is zero temptation to eat foods like that ever. Not to fear missing out, however; this version of a McMuffin rocks, and you can customize it to suit your taste-buds.
- Yield: as desired
- Prep time: 5-8 minutes
- English muffins, toasted
- (Find in the freezer section of your grocers; use the Food for Life rice tortilla or the corn wraps from Whole Foods if gluten-free)
- Basil pesto, ideally dairy free and/or your favorite hummus or cashew cheese
- Thin slices avocado or avocado mashed with a little lemon and sea salt
- Sun-dried tomatoes, chopped or sun-dried tomato pesto
- Fresh tomato slices
- Raw hemp seeds or toasted pine nuts
- Sea salt, cayenne, black pepper, nutritional yeast, fresh basil leaves
- Spread a little pesto and/or hummus/cheese evenly on each half of the muffin. Top one half with avocado slices, 1 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, a tomato slice, basil leaves, hemp seeds or pine nuts and season as desired.
- Press muffin halves together or enjoy open-faced and dive in or wrap in parchment paper for a great to-go breakfast.
- Not an avocado fan? Sub in tomatoes, raw or sauteed mushrooms or roasted eggplant, zucchini or peppers.
- Add slivered greens such as arugula (a fave addition)
- Make this open faced and garnish as above adding a sassy drizzle of balsamic reduction
- Add additional protein with beans of your choice scattered over the pesto
Property of Teri Gentes – Permission is required to republish.