SUPER SIMPLE SUNBUTTER SATAY SAUCE
- Sauce, condiment, dip, spread, vegan, peanut-free w/ gluten-free option
This is a sure fire ‘go-to’ win them all over recipe in my home as well as at workshops and cooking classes. Besides being oh-so-easy to make and ever so versatile it is wonderfully flavor packed and adapts well to accommodate many of the prevailing dietary specifics. I love it with Asian salad rolls, kebobs – be it veggie, seafood or meat; it is great over greens or noodle salad or with BBQ’d or grilled meats/seafood/veggies and stuffed into lettuce leaf tacos. Make a double batch for this sauce keeps at least a week with all the ginger, garlic and spices it boasts. Let me know your favorite way to use it.
1/2 cup Natural organic sunbutter www.sunbutter.com
2 tbsp fresh ginger – minced
2 tsp garlic – minced
3 tbsp organic tamari (gluten-free) or coconut aminos
2 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste
Dried Chili peppers or cayenne pepper, to taste
2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
2 tbsp raw honey, Lakanto or coconut sugar (less if using sweetened SunButter)
½ -2/3 cup water, coconut milk or water or broth, to create desired consistency
½ - 1 tsp sea salt, to taste (may be needed if using coconut aminos)
- Combine all ingredients but salt in a food processor, or blender. (A glass jar with a tight fitting lid will work as well, with a little muscle power to emulsify the sauce).
- Blend until smooth (scraping down the sides of processor if using). Adjust seasonings and thickness as desired.
- Serve as a dip, with kebobs or cutlets, or thin with additional liquid and use as a salad dressing or sauce with spiraled raw veggie noodles topped with sautéed veggies such as peppers, onions, squash, snow peas etc.
CASHEW RICOTTA CHEESE - creamy deliciousness
- Vegan, gluten, soy, dairy and nut-free
This creamy, cashew ricotta is so yummy and ever so versatile. Change up the taste with various herbs, add-ins like chives, sun-dried tomatoes, herbs, roasted garlic, etc. Get creative in the kitchen because let’s face it, we all love to gather there.
- Prep time – 10 minutes, soaking time 60 mins or overnight
- Yield: Approx 250g / 1 cup
1 cup raw cashews, soaked 1 hour or overnight
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp onion powder
Black pepper if desired
3-4 tbsp water
GARNISH: chives, fresh herbs, lemon zest, olive oil, etc.
- Blend all of the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth and almost creamy starting with 3 tbsp water and adding more if needed pending upon how long the cashews soaked. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Garnish any way your heart desires and enjoy.
- If making the cheese in a high speed blender maximize on your time and create another recipe from this one. Simply leave a little of the cheese mixture in the blender instead of scraping it clean. Add your favorite vinegar, a plunk of Dijon, perhaps a shallot, sea salt, pepper, and olive oil or an avocado and a little water as needed. Blast to make a fabulous creamy dressing. Include some fresh or dried herbs if desired.
Recipe created by Teri Gentes www.terigentes.com – permission required to reprint