What am I talking about? The ever so delish lemon, garlic, tahini combo you find with Mid-Eastern faves like falafels and kebobs. Each time I make it I vow to keep a constant stash in my fridge. It stands in well for the proverbial hummus dip I so love.
Here I show it with a salad and it is a dip everyone seems to flock to when it's on the table.
For the recipe and yet another fab idea to use this in a main course read on.
CREAMY GARLICKY LEMON DIP
1/2 cup raw, organic tahini paste
4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
3 lemon juice, to taste
1 tsp ground cumin and a dash cayenne pepper
1/2 sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
Water as needed - approx 3-5 tbsp pending on the consistency of tahini
1-2 tbsp olive oil, if desired
1 tsp lemon zest and Chili flakes (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients but the lemon zest and chili flakes together in a small blender, with an immersible blender or whisk well with a fork adding water a little at a time to create a desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Transfer to a glass bowl and if serving as a dip, garnish and accompany with vegetable slabs, crackers or pita bread triangles. If serving as a drizzle or dressing thin the dip to desired consistency with water.
To use this as part of a main course
- Preheat oven to 375F and cut a 1lb block of pressed and dried tofu into 1 inch cubes and toss in a few tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Next combine 1 tsp sea salt with freshly cracked black pepper to taste, 1 tsp each garlic powder, 1-2 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp sumac, if desired.
- Spread cubes out on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer and bake about 20 minutes, toss and continuing to bake another 10 minutes or so until the cubes are golden brown.
- In those last 5 minutes of baking steam roast 1 lb spinach that's been spread out over another lined baking sheet and lightly seasoned with sea salt and pepper.
- When done, plate pile greens on each plate, top with cubes, drizzle the Creamy Lemon Garlic dip over generously and serve with your fave sides.
- Top with lemon zest and cayenne if desired.
Also let me mention this time and energy saving practice of mine. While you have the oven on, roast additional vegetables such as squash, sweet potatoes, peppers and onions etc, along with the tofu for another meal. This leaves more time for you to do something else you love.